Saturday, July 19, 2008

Photography Is Exciting


One of the things that I love about photography is the opportunity to be constantly learning new techniques to improve your work. In the DWF Forum, Bruce Dorn, a lighting genius has a great thread going on "Off Camera Flash". This captured my imagination and in going to WPPI Conference in Las Vegas I was even more convinced that this was something that I wanted to bring to my clients.

Like anything else in life that is worthwhile, there are risks taken, money spent and a definite learning curve. Having purchased my Lastolite Ezybox and Hot Shoe adaptor for my Nikon D800 flash and the Elinchrom Wireless Transmission System, I was ready to go.
I love using backlighting in my scenes, but the downside of this is that the people facing you then are underlit with dark holes for eyes and a lack of vibrancy. Light can be thrown back onto the subjects with the use of reflectors or on-camera flash, but this gives a very flat light and although the eyes come alive. the contours of the face and modelling of the face are lost.
Using off camera flash and balancing the flash with the camera's exposure reading gives you the modelling of the face, highlights, midtones and shadows and also gives that catchlight to the eyes which gives light and energy. Balancing carefully the output of the flash gives a natural and beautiful image.
Brooke and I worked at it in our last wedding and were thrilled with the results. (Mind you the results did not come the first time - did I say there was a long learning curve?) Recently I photographed the engagement session of Rebecca and Steve, with wonderful sunset backlighting and with this new system was able to capture what I am truly proud of. (It didn't hurt that Steve and Rebecca were very co-operative and supportive subjects.)
Ahhh! it's wonderful to feel the excitement of working on something new.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Betty
The picture look great and I love your new technique, I can actually see what you were talking to me about. Rebecca was in to see me and talking about wedding stuff told me how you made her feel so comfortable. I love all your pictures posted on your site.
Ashley

August 10, 2008 at 10:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home