Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hairy Scotland

For me one of the great symbols of Scotland is the Highland Scottish cattle. Ted would argue that it is the distilleries of great scotch whiskey.

Our first encounter on this trip was the unlikely sighting of four highland cattle inside what was once a large brick walled garden that in its earlier days would have provided the food for the Carriden Estate near BoNess. Here they were within the confines of a fence, but often they could be found wandering the highlands with only a steel grate placed in the single lane roads to stop them from wandering into someone else's range.

Although they look placid, we were told that they were not to be fooled with, especially if there was a young calf about. For me I was just happy to use my long lens to record what I called, "hairyScotland".







2 Comments:

Blogger Greg & Lesley said...

Hi Betty.
Hi from New Zealand. I breed Scottish Highland cattle here and recently viewed your blog on your Hairy Scotland. I am just redesigning our website and would love to be able to use your "Cow passing through the wall" photo on our front page, and possibly in other material.
Could we please use it with your permission? Look forward to hearing from you. Greg Mudgway www.mcmoos.co.nz

May 27, 2008 at 5:13 a.m.  
Blogger Betty Cooper said...

Greg:

What a wonderful small world that we live in. If you would e-mail me at betty@betty-cooper.com, I would love to discuss this with you.

May 27, 2008 at 4:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home